Saturday 14 August 2010

The Majestic Camel

I had a camel coat when I was 16. I think it was from H&M and I can't for the life of me remember why I got rid of it. There is no chance that I "grew out of it" considering I had stopped growing to years before.

The camel coat comes around every few years as the must-have fall item, and every time I look around for a high street alternative to the inevitably enviable Chloe camel coat, or the elbow-patched Ralph Lauren camel coat, or the minimalist Celine camel coat.

On the two-hour flight from Corsica to London, I was in a heavenly world of Vogue, nose-deep in the biblical September issue. I loathe flying, but for those two hours, I could have been anywhere in the world. One of the pieces of loved reading was Jo Ellison's piece about her mother's camel coat. The writing so evocative, one felt as if our own faced were buried in the gentle, soft cashmere that lived at the back of her mother's wardrobe.

Wondering the streets as autumn turns its many shades of grey, a camel coat is exactly what I need. And here's what I found. In Zara, for under £100. I think this is the beginning of an autumn romance!

Recommended soundtrack to this post: A Foggy Day (in London Town), Ella Fitzgerald

3 comments:

a said...

Buff.

(Impractical in the rain however, but let's not talk about that.)

emma said...

Zara coats, really? Aren't they great from a distance, terribly cheap looking and feeling close up?

Just Another Blogger said...

a - There's no such thing as clothes that are both stylish AND waterproof. Proof: http://tiny.cc/kyqa7

emma: You really would think that, but it's 67% wool and 15% angora (and, ahem, 18% polyamide). It's lovely and soft, and the cut is really good for high street. Zara does GREAT stuff.