Tuesday 27 April 2010

Write a World for Me...

Today I discovered that Nancy Meyers wrote my favourite film. Every time I'm sick, or feeling childishly vulnerable, I watch 'The Parent Trap' and immediately feel better. I could care less about the first part: long lost twins meet in camp, so what?

Nancy Meyers' films, such as 'The Holiday', 'Something's Got To Give' and 'Father of the Bride', feature highly in my favourite feel-good movies. And it seems to have a lot to do with the "lifestyles and settings she creates". Erica Barry's perfect white house in the Hamptons, Harry Sanborn's Manhattan bachelor pad, Iris' Surrey cottage, and especially Elizabeth James's London town house.

There's something about Meyers' worlds which make romance and interior design mutually exclusive. Make your world beautiful, and beautiful things will happen...

No comments: